Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Looking For Alaska : Review


Star Rating




At the time of reading I wasn't sure I was enjoying this book but I stuck with it and am really glad I did. This is a story that will stay with you long after finishing. It will pull at your heart strings and I found myself really empathising with the characters.

This is the story of Miles Halter whose life is one big nonevent. "The only thing worse than having a party that no one attends is having a party attended by only two vastly, deeply uninteresting people."
That is until he mees Alaska Young, 'the hottest girl in all of human history.' This book builds suspense well as John Green splits it into two sections: before and after. Each chapter is headed as days before/after an event that leaves the reader wondering what this mysterious event will be. Fortunately, I was not disappointed when the event was finally revealed and it was this that ultimately changed my mind about the greatness of this book.
John Green writes well and tells the tale of new friendships with great ease. He is also able to include some darker elements into the story which add to the mystery and suspense. 

Although this is a book for younger readers I would again recommend it to all ages. Another easy read from an extremely popular author however, I did prefer 'The Fault In Our Stars.' 
I will certainly be purchasing and reviewing some more of John Green's writing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment