Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pinocchio by Michael Morpurgo


"My name is Pinocchio.
I reckon I must be just about the most famous puppet the world has ever known.

But I'm more than just bits of wood and string.

I'm me. So it's about time that I, Pinocchio, told you my story...









I received this copy from the publishers for an honest and open review. 


I would be seriously concerned if there was anyone on this earth who hadn't heard of Pinocchio and thanks to the Disney franchise it has become one of the best known children's stories across the globe. Here, Michael Morpurgo has teamed up with the talent illustrator Emma Chichester Clark to retell this children's classic through the eyes of Pinocchio himself. 

Written in the first person, Pinocchio takes us with him on a journey to lands afar where we meet a whole host of strange and mysterious creatures. My Year two class were particularly amused by the evil Blind Cat who, humorously, repeats everything his Lame Fox sidekick says. The chapter names add humour and interest to the story and my class were eager to discover each new title and what adventures that chapter would entail. 

Chapter Five
At the Inn of the Red Lobster, and that Talking Cricket again (yes, I know you thought he was dead, and so did I!) 

The story contains lots of shocks and surprises and the children in my class gasped their way through each delightful chapter. Every so often Pinocchio speaks directly to his audience, drawing the reader in and creating a sense of involvement in the story. This is always a recipe for success in a children's book as the protagonist appears to jump out of the pages and join the children in the room.  


"And I know what you must be thinking. How could you be that gullible, that stupid, Pinocchio? I've been asking myself that question on and off ever since."

Pinocchio will remain an all time classic and this unique interpretation certainly deserves a place on children's bookshelves everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment